Thursday, September 10, 2009

Wrestlemania 1 Review

by Alfonso Colasuonno

My sister recently bought me the first ten Wrestlemanias on DVD. I thought I'd review them for those checking out this blog. So far, I've seen Wrestlemania, Wrestlemania 2, and Wrestlemania III. Today, I'll review Wrestlemania 1.

WRESTLEMANIA

Tito Santana v. The Executioner - a short match to start off the card. Nothing really special here.

King Kong Bundy v. S.D. Jones - a monster squash for Bundy. He looked mighty impressive and mobile for a big man.

Matt Borne v. Ricky Steamboat - Nice to see Steamboat in action, but not one of his best matches.

David Sammartino v. Brutus Beefcake - Just a nice paced match. The best of the card. I wonder what happened to David Sammartino. Probably blacklisted with his dad Bruno.

Greg Valentine v. Junkyard Dog - Solid match. JYD is definitely an unorthodox wrestler.

Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff v. Barry Windham and Mike Rotundo - This was a good match. Sheik and Volkoff drew some great nationalist heat.

Big John Studd v. Andre the Giant - this was a 15,000 dollar slam match. Was it supposed to be shocking that a man Andre's size could bodyslam a man Studd's size? The other way around would be a shocker.

Leilani Kai v. Wendi Richter - I think this was better women's action than the Divas matches of today. I wonder why WWE has such terrible women's wrestling compared to TNA. It's like they are half-assing it. Why even bother.

Hogan and Mr. T v. Roddy Piper and Paul Orndorff - A solid bout to close the show. I really think the first few Wrestlemanias - Hogan carried the show.

Overall - A solid PPV to start the Wrestlemania legacy. However, the action left a lot to be desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment